I’d never had grilled cheese growing up. It wasn’t until my grade 7 or 8 school cooking class when I discovered this Memorable Dish. I loved that cooking class at school! I don’t think we made anything fancy. The only thing I remembered was making grilled cheese. We spread the outside of the bread with butter and the inside with ketchup. Then we peeled the plastic wrap off the processed cheese, (I’m sure if we made this today, the teacher would’ve used real cheese :P) and pan-fried it slowly on the stove. The teacher served the grilled cheese sandwich with a side order of pickles. I thought to myself, “Wow! This is so amazing!” I think I went home and started making grilled cheese after that.
Another discovery I made fairly recently was that a friend of mine makes grilled cheese by broiling it in the oven. Brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that? She also introduced me to a sautéed mushroom version – yum! The kids demand to have grilled cheese at my in-laws every time they stay over. (Maybe I don’t make it enough at home? 🙂
Here’s an easy version you can make by broiling it in your oven. I find it a great way to make lots of sandwiches fast. Just make sure you keep an eye on the oven so you don’t burn them! If you do, just scrape off the burnt parts with a knife and they’re good as new 😉
- 8 slices of Bread (I use whole wheat)
- 2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
- Softened Butter
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- Butter one side of the bread.
- Place 4 pieces of bread, buttered side down on a baking pan/cookie sheet.
- Put 1/2 cup of grated cheese on each piece of bread.
- Then place the remaining bread on top of the cheese, buttered side up.
- Broil on one side until brown (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Move or rotate your pan to brown evenly.
- Flip the bread and broil the other side until brown.